Programming for Students with Diverse Needs
WJMA offers special needs music programs, which include private
lessons in voice, violin, Cajon drum and piano for students up through
high school, as well as Special Music Together classes for preschool and kindergarten children.
Elements of our Programs
-Occupational and Speech Therapist will evaluate the child and make a recommendation of the appropriateness of our music program in a confidential and private setting.
-Lessons are taught at the First Presbyterian Church of Moorestown in accessible classrooms. The building has adequate ramps, parking spaces and access for those who are physically disabled.
- No medical information or diagnosis should be discussed.
- Parental permission will be needed to discuss the accommodations and needs of a student.
- The teacher and therapist will develop a basic music plan and specify individualized goals for the student.
- Following several trial lessons in a safe and nurturing setting, the teacher will provide a written recommendation pertaining to the appropriateness of the program for the student.
- Students will be on a 5-week plan, to give the student time to adjust to the lessons. If the student's participation and experience in the music program is positive, lessons may be continued for the next 5-weeks.
- Lessons are 20-minutes in duration, but they could be adjusted to 30 minutes as the student shows receptiveness to a longer instructional period.
- While the goal of performing in front of an audience is always encouraged, this may not be an appropriate goal for an individual student. Performance in front of an audience is not a requirement for participation.
If you are interested in this program, please email us: